Just in time for the upcoming Academy Awards telecast, Warner Bros. has released a Best Pictures DVD collection comprised of 20 films produced or owned by the studio. This set contains 20 classic, Best Picture winners on 23 discs.
The films are broken up into three multi-DVD cases labeled as and containing the following films:
1929-1942 (A New Era)
· The Broadway Melody (1929)
· Grand Hotel (1932)
· Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
· The Life of Emile Zola (1937)
· Gone with The Wind (1939)
· Casablanca (1942)
· Mrs. Miniver (1942)
1946-1959 (The Golden Years)
· The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
· An American in Paris (1951)
· Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
· Gigi (1958)
· Ben-Hur (1959)
1975-2006 (The New Classics)
· One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
· Chariots of Fire (1981)
· Amadeus: Director’s Cut (1984)
· Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
· Unforgiven (1992)
· The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
· Million Dollar Baby (2004)
· The Departed (2006)
The set also includes a 24-page booklet with a page dedicated to each film. I personally would have liked a beefier book with more information and behind the scenes photographs, similar to Warner Bros. digibook releases.
As you can see, the included films are some of the best ever made with such fan favorites as Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. However, what I appreciate most is the inclusion of some lesser known films such as Grand Hotel and The Best Years of Our Lives.
I applaud Warner Bros. for selling this set at a low price of $64.98. You get 20 great films at what amounts to $3.25/each – an absolute steal. I highly recommend picking this one up if you’re a fan of classic cinema or if you’re looking to expand your film knowledge. This would also be a great gift for a film student, or really anyone that loves movies.